Tonsils are missing. One side is sore and painful to swallow. What to do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My tonsils have gone missing, and I have not had a tonsillectomy, is there a reason for this? Also, the left side where the tonsil should be is soar and very painful when I swallow. Should I be concerned and what can I do?
Posted Fri, 13 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 55 minutes later
Brief Answer: Take proper care and if not relieved then consult Detailed Answer: Hello I have studied your case, As per your history and symptoms it looks like there is atrophy of tonsils and on left side there is tonsillitis infection or congestion. Primarily you can take analgesic with anti-inflammatory like enzomac plus. Avoid exposure to strong wind. Do betadine gargles Take only bland diet for the next one week Avoid anything spicy, oily or high flavoured Consulting your doctor exact site of infection can be confirmed, status of tonsil can be checked , antibiotic can be started according to examination. If required you may need to do blood investigation for prognosis and recovery. Take precaution to avoid spread of infection. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries. Wishing you good health. Take care