Tonsillectomy surgery and ear tubes insertion done. Getting pain in throat and ear. Any cure?

ENT Specialist
Hi my daughter XXXXXXX is 9 days post tonsillectomy adenoidecomy and ear tubes insertion...
I took her into doctors 3 days ago for the pain in her throat and ear to see if I could get something stronger for pain other than advil and tylonal. They couldn't as she is only 6 years old. They said her left ear was blocked with dried blood. They told me to get into my ENT. I could not get through to him . Last night we went into emerg for terrible ear pain and they said the same thing. Dried blood in ear tube and see ENT. I finally got a hold of his secretary and she said we couldn't get into see him until March 4 but to see our doctor. I told her they said to see the ENT. Nothing she can do and no medical advice over the phone. The ear pain is increasing and i am worried about fluid building up. I am using heat on her ear as that is the only thing that helps. is this going to burst her ear drum? Should I be using heat? What can we do in the interm? If there is only one question can be answered it would be what should we do in the interm?
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later

Thanks for the query

Throat pain following the Adeno- tonsillectomy surgery is common and usually lasts for 5-10 days.

The earache is because of the throat problem. This is because; there exists a common innervation between the throat and the ear.

Do not worry about the clots in the ear; it will get dislodged automatically after few days. Advil is more than enough for pain, but along with that your daughter will also require a course of oral antibiotic (such as a combination of amoxycillin and clavulanic acid) to take care of the secondary infection, if any.

Secondly, encourage your daughter to eat soft food and drink plenty of water (preferably normal water). The more she tries to eat and drink, the sooner the pain will disappear.

Hope I have answered your queries; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon