Tongue is swollen and done with allergy test. Suggest the treatment?

ex-smoker (night only) quit 1/4/13; general good health. Tongue first swelled in XXXXXXX this year, allergy test done, some minor allergies nothing significant, cannot find the cause; have had oral check at dentist; glands ultrasound - all good. Under tongue swelling this morning on RHS (this has happened now for the 4th time) hello, I've been getting intermittent under the tongue swelling on the right hand side...
Posted Sun, 8 Sep 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Needs investigations to find cause.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
There are a few possibilities for the swelling under the tongue which need to be ruled out and these include:

1) It can be a swollen lymph node like a submandibular lymph node which has swollen in response to nasal and sinus infections.

2) Second possibility is of salivary gland swelling like sublingual gland infection or blockage which lies beneath the mucous membrane of the floor of the mouth. The sublingual and submaxillary (also called the submandibular) glands empty into the mouth through ducts under the tongue.

Swelling of these glands due to blockage of these ducts leads to interference of production and drainage of saliva and pain and irritation. It may be due to some obstruction like stone or tumor, inflammation and infection.

3) Third possibility is of any cyst or benign skin growth.

You need certain investigations like blood count, sialography, sialendoscopy and ultrasound or CT scan of the area to confirm the diagnosis.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.