Tongue has burning sensation and tingles when run teeth over it. Cause?

my tongue is has a burning sensation and it tingles when I run my teeth over it. why?
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
there are different causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Tingling or abnormal sensation of the tongue can occur due to different conditions such as :(1) vitamin deficiency , particularly vitamin b12 or mineral deficiency

(2)undue pressure on the nerve responsible for sensation in the tongue. This can occur for example if there is a mass either in the mouth or brain that is affecting or compressing the nerve

(4)dental procedures, trauma to the jaw

(5)hypothyroidism- this is a condition with low levels of thyroid hormone that can be associated with a range of symptoms

(6)conditions such as MS (multiple sclerosis) that affect the brain and spinal cord

(7)stroke , seizures, transient ischemic attack (this is a short lived stroke- less than 24 hours)

(8) side effect of medication

(9)alcohol abuse or excess smoking

If you have a history of hypertension, diabetes or high cholesterol, it is possible it can be related to areas of decreased blood supply in the brain.

If the symptom continues or worsen then you may want to consider visiting your doctor for an evaluation which would include history and physical examination of the nerves in the head and face (the cranial nerves).

Imaging and blood tests may be done based on the findings. The blood tests would check for any deficiency of minerals or vitamins, screen for diabetes and check thyroid hormone level

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions