Toddler lips turn blue. All medical test normal. Suggested for echo. Should I be concerned?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
MY TODDLER LIPS TURN BLUE TOOK HIM TO ER OXYGEN LEVEL EKG AND XRAY DONE ALL NORMAL. THE SITTER TELLS ME WHEN HE GETS UPSET THEY TURN BLUE. SHOULD I BE CONCERN TOOK HIM TO HIS DOCTOR SAID EVERYTHING LOOKS OK . SCHEDULED HIM FOR AN ECHO
Posted Tue, 5 Mar 2013 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 47 minutes later

This is a symptom which can be seen in healthy children but also can be very alarming. Did you notice blue lips after some activity of the child or crying or does it happen without any reason? Is she growing and developing normally? Are there some other symptoms such as cough, sleepiness? If not, then you don't need to be concerned.

In some cases, Blue lips can be a sign of cyanosis, which is usually caused by heart or lungs disorder. It means that there is no enough oxygen in blood. But newborns and young infants can normally have blue lips and a bluish hands and feet. This is called peripheral cyanosis, and usually goes away as a child's circulatory system matures.

Xray and ecg are not very helpful but echo definitely is. If this will be normal, it means that her heart is alright, and I hope it will be.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help

Follow-up: Toddler lips turn blue. All medical test normal. Suggested for echo. Should I be concerned? 20 minutes later
NO HE WAS PLAYING ALSO MY HOUSE IS A SLIGHTLY CHILLY
HIS DEVELOPING NORMAL NO COUGH NO OTHER SYMPTOMS

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later

Thanks for the follow up.

Great. Then everything is fine obviously. Just keep following his growth and development and any strange sign. Congenital heart malformation would have more prominent symptoms but wait till echo is done. Keep him in warm,fresh room. Don't smoke around him of course.

Hope I have been helpful.