Toddler having cold. Prescribed coflex and atrax. Reason for crying while having breast milk?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
sir my 3 month and 20 days old baby is crying at having mothers milk but he take bottle milk little bit after appx 2 or 3 hours he take only 40 or 50 ml milk our doctor suggest coflex , austmin c , atrax, he suffer from cold also and from past five hours he cant take milk mother or bootle so klndly suggest me why he is crying at having mothers milk.sir when he is sleeping he takes mothers milk also.
Posted Fri, 25 Jan 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 41 minutes later
Please do not panic.
Your baby is most probably suffering from nasal blockage due to upper respiratory infection ( cold). It's very common for infants to cry during such problem because of the following reasons ,
1. Infants are exclusively nasal breathers and during sucking especially at breast the only way for air entry is through the tiny nostrils which during cold gets easily blocked with mucus . The baby feels suffocation during sucking so can't feed though he is very hungry . So it causes crying.
2. During nasal block infants do ingest lots of air ( aerophagia) due to open mouth breathing , loud crying etc It may cause stomach bloating and colicky pain in abdomen causing crying.
3. During colds there may be ear ache associated with congestion of ear tubes causing ear pain and therefore crying.
First and foremost the infant needs to be evaluated by a doctor to rule out any other serious causes like infection causing sepsis or respiratory distress etc .
I assume that you have got him evaluated by his pediatrician who has advised the medications .
Please confirm if the medication is keflex drops which is an antibiotic or coflex which might be a nasal drop or oral decongestant .
Astymin c is a multivitamin and atarax an anti allergic medication.
As of now the most important thing would be to try soothing the baby by rocking or taking for a walk etc , giving him sips of bottle milk or bowl spoon feeding , burp him frequently to decrease bloating and maintain a head high position to avoid nasal block during sleeping.
Your doctor might advise a nasal decongestant drops and anti colic medications like dicyclomine ( colimex etc) if the crying persists .
If condition doesn't improve in another 48 hours a course of antibiotic might be required as per doctors judgement .
Please do not panic , the baby will have breast milk if his nose is clear and he is in a comfortable position ( head high ). I would recommend exclusive breastfeeding for any infant less than 6 month old as its the best nutrition for them.
Hope I have answered your query.
I'll be available for any follow up queries.