Toddler has creases on ears and acrocyanosis around mouth. Worried for heart problem

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Apr 2013
Apr 2013

General Surgeon
Question
my 3 month old has creases on both ears. she has also had a dusky acrocyanosis around her mouth. she was born 10 lbs 14 oz. she is otherwise growing fast (too fast) 18.5 pounds happy and learning -i am terrified of a heart problem as i took antidepressants during pregnancy and i am wondering what tests i can ask to order?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX.

I don't think you should worry, but further tests may be necessary. Did doctors notice anything strange during or after birth?

Creases on ears are usual for newborns and each organ needs some time to mature and to get its final morphology.

Malformations caused by these drugs are very rare and it is not contraindicated in pregnancy.

Acrocyanosis is a symptom which can be seen in healthy children but also can be alarming. If she is growing and developing normally then this is a good sign.

If this is a real cyanosis, then it can be caused by heart or lungs disorder. It means that there is no enough oxygen in blood. Then his medical state needs to be evaluated, but as I said, in most cases this means nothing, and many parents are concerned and ask similar questions.

First you need to do is to look for any XXXXXXX symptoms such as choking, fever, seizures or dizziness. If you notice this, go to ER.

But it seems like this is not an emergency and you have time to do tests. Simple and non-invasive tests ECG, ECHO-heart, and blood tests are enough to rule out any serious diagnosis.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Toddler has creases on ears and acrocyanosis around mouth. Worried for heart problem 4 hours later
Yes i know that it "can be" normal. I am concerned because both things are happening at the same time, as well as her size....How can i make sure that she gets her echo??? i am wondering sometimes if i am seeing a seizure. shes seeing a geneticist monday but im scared theyre going to keep acting like im a hypochondriac. She has beed diagnosed with Acrocyanosis...so im not just seeing that...

i had her XXXXXXX a cardiologist and he barely looked at her and said she is growing fine and not to worry. As her mother, I can accept this. What does a platelet count of 5-600 mean?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Well. Congenital heart defects goes with poor feeding and growth. So this is good that shes growing (even too fast as you say). Echocardiography is simply and quickly done by any cardiologist. This is the first test what he had to do. I suppose that he listened to baby's heart and tried to find murmurs or arrhythmias.

Genetic tests can find only some chromosomopathy, but this doesnt seem to be it..

This is thrombocytosis which is at this age usually secondary one. It means that it is probably associated with any kind of infection(respiratory, uro or pneumonia),but also anemia or hipoxia can cause it as well.

Acrocyanosis can be sign of immature circulation. So if your baby is growing too fast, maybe circulation system isn't following it.

I suggest you to wait for some time to see is there would be any progress of symptoms and cyanosis.

Follow-up: Toddler has creases on ears and acrocyanosis around mouth. Worried for heart problem 5 hours later
sorry but i didnt understand this part:

what is thrombocytosis?

Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 5 hours later
It is the presence of high platelet counts in the blood, and can be either primary (caused by blood production disorders called myeloproliferative diseases) or secondary (reactive) which is more common. This is mildly elevated count. It is usually temporary, but if persist this can cause thrombus formation in vessels which leads to ischemia of tissue (possible reason for cyanosis).

Variety of infection, which does not even need to ve recognized, can cause thrombocytosis. So try to find signs such as fever, urinating disorder, cough or seizures. Ask your doctor about it.

Good luck.