Toddler has barking cough, red eye and started sneezing. What is the disease called?

Jun 2015

Hi, my 3 month old has had a barking cough since saturday evening and has gotten progressively worse. she is sneezing and has red runny eyes. I took her in on Sunday to outpatients on sunday morning and the dr did a nasal swab for rsv and sent us home, told me to bring her back if it gets worse, took her in again yesterday and was told, just a cold she will be fine. Today she has redder runnier eyes, and isn├Ęt eating as i take her in again

Posted Sun, 17 Mar 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 1 hour later
All these symptoms suggest that your child might be suffering from upper respiratory tract infection(most probably viral infection)
Barking cough is characteristic feature of Croup/ Laryngotracheobronchitis.
It is a viral infection caused most commonly due to RSV.
So...the treating Doctor has taken a nasal swab thinking of the same.

Management of Croup is by:
1. Humidified Oxygen
2. Corticosteroids- dosage to be decided depending upon the body weight.
3. Nebulised Epinephrine can also provide temporary relief.

However, the presence of symptoms like redder runnier eyes & refusal of feed is a warning sign of respiratory distress.
This is to be taken care of at the earliest to prevent any further progression of the condition.
So, I advise you to consult a Pediatrician as soon as possible.

Wishing your daughter a speedy recovery.
Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.