Tiredness, raised blood sugar. Diagnosed with kidney stones. Taking Defcort TM, frusecal. Advise

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I have been diagonesed with Kidney stone at lower right ureter. Size 6 mm approx. For extortion a medicine has been prescribed Defcort TM. I take Defcort TM at bed time, But my blood sugar significantly rises at morning. Another tablet prescribed is Frusecal. Disolv liquid also provided. I m feeling too much tired. Yesterday my pp was fasting 165 and and pp 220. which I never experienced though I m diabetic. I take Glisen 1 M at morning and Gluconorm 500 1/2 tablet before dinner for controlloing diabetis. It was well under control.
Posted Thu, 2 May 2013 in Kidney Conditions

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 1 hour later

Based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you are known diabetic and taking oral anti diabetic medications Glisen 1M in the morning and and Gluconorm 500 in the evening. Your diabetes is well controlled with these medications.

You have stone of 6mm size in lower end of your Right Ureter and have been prescribed Tab Defcort TM .Defcort TM is generally prescribed to reduce inflammation in variety of conditions .

Defcort TM belongs to corticosteroid group of drugs and has an action to increase blood sugar levels and this is the reason for increase in your blood sugar levels.

Please consult your Doctor and discuss the possibility of omitting Defcort Tm and prescribing other medication for stone in the ureter.

Please note that there is no medicine that can dissolve the urinary stone. A stone of a size of 6mm can pass down naturally without any medication.
Please consult qualified Urologist for clinical assessment and further treatment.
He will be the best person to decide the mode of treatment either medical (conservative) or surgical intervention depending upon the degree of Hydronephrosis and severity of symptoms.

Ensure to consume more water.

Hope I have answered your query.
Please feel free to ask if you have any more questions. I shall be happy to help you.
Thanks with Regards.
Dr.Patil..

Follow-up: Tiredness, raised blood sugar. Diagnosed with kidney stones. Taking Defcort TM, frusecal. Advise 2 hours later
Do you think that Defcort Tm can help in stone extortion? If it is only for inflamation pain etc. I can easily avoid this medicine.

Hello
Thanks for follow up.Defcort TM will not help in extortion of the stone at all.Normally we never prescribe steroids for stone.
The stone of a size of 6mm is likely to pass down of its own you have to just ensure to consume more water.
If you have pain take antispasmodics and Tomsulosin after getting prescription from your family Physician.
However if you get repeated episodes of pain, fever or vomiting consult immediately to Urologist for assessment .You may need to undergo endoscopic fragmentation of the stone URS ( Ureterorenoscopy) to relieve pain and to restore the flow of urine from kidney to bladder.
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil

Follow-up: Tiredness, raised blood sugar. Diagnosed with kidney stones. Taking Defcort TM, frusecal. Advise 11 hours later
Thanks a lot. Please none that the stone was detected 6 months back. First at Lower part of Kidney, then upper ureter, mid ureter and last at UV junction since Nov'2013. But that time the stone size was 9 mm. It is still there at lower ureter. But size become 6 mm. Is it realy possible? Now there is no Hydrypnephosis. Normal urination. Mild continuous pain is there. Should I go for URS.

Hello
Thanks for writing again.

The variation in size may be due personal judgment and is very common in reporting of ultrasound scanning by different sonologists.

If you have mild pain and no hydronephrosis you can certainly wait and watch for some time more for stone to pass down without any intervention.

Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil