Tiredness, delayed cycles, light brown discharge. Pregnancy ?

I am three days late always like clockwork, no other symptoms except tired. When I went to the restroom this morning there was very very light brown blood on the toliet paper, but that is all. No other symptoms. What is your opinion?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 1 hour later
Hello and thanks for the followup.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

It is not uncommon that there is an occasional fluctuation in the normal menstrual cycle which could include a discharge which might appear atypical. Sometimes a mild bacterial infection may generate a discharge similar to what you describe. In the setting of an infection, the discharge would be persistent, sometimes foul smelling and sometimes is associated with fever.

I am assuming you are not suspicious of any pregnancy in this case? A very early miscarriage could present like this as well. A simple pregnancy test would help rule this out.

I recommend that you continue to observe things for the time being. Check a pregnancy test, hydrate very well and get some extra rest. I would expect your period to start flowing within 48 hours. If in 3 days you still have not had a period I would recommend you visit with your doctor for a focused exam and consultation.

Thanks again for the query. I hope my answer has been adequate and helpful. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga
Follow-up: Tiredness, delayed cycles, light brown discharge. Pregnancy ? 5 minutes later
We had an issue with a condom coming off and semen coming out of the condom around the time of ovulation. I want to know but don't want to know.
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 23 hours later

I understand completely.

At the same time I really think it would be of benefit to you to get te pregnancy test done. If it is negative then you can observe for symptoms of persistent discharge etc. and then if you need treatment your doctor will be able to provide it.

Thanks again for the query. I am here for you if you have any additional concerns.

Dr. Galamaga