Tinnitus has remained persistent, constant joint pain with swelling. Even cucurmin has not worked. Why?

Last year I developped tinnitus in both ears and it has remained perisistent - driving me nuts. At the same time I started having finger joints and finger swelling with a burning feeling and very mild pain, almost neglectable. After some momths i have started feeling the same discomfort in the ankles, knees, elbows, shoulders - without swelling or redness. The pain/stifness is not intense - and it gets better after swimming - I instated a daily hour of swimming, Some days I feel swollen in all my body and then the fingers get really swollen. I have tried Ibropfrofen occassionaly without evident results, This water retaining made me take occasionally Lasix which helps with the swelling but the fingers remain reddish and burning and swollen (less when I take Lasix). Pain or stiffness is more evident in the morning, but the swelling around the finger knuckles if permanent. I have also tried Cucurmin for the inflammation but it has not worked (after 2 months).
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 46 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

I would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) What is your Height and weight?
2.) Do you have any Joints deformity?
3.) Do you have fatigue, fever or weight loss?

Your history suggests that you may have Rheumatoid Arthritis which has to be confirmed. Kindly get yourself examined by a Rheumatologist so that he/she may examine you and confirm it by running few tests like,

1.) RA Factor.
2.) Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate, ESR.
3.) Anti-cyclic citrullinated peptide (anti-CCP) antibodies.
4.) X rays.

Once confirmed, the treatment will depend upon the cause. You may be prescribed steroid medications and analgesics.

For Tinnitus, get an opinion from an ENT Specialist so that the cause could be found out and appropriately treated.

In addition to the medications, follow these lifestyle modifications:

1.) Avoid stress, practice relaxation techniques like yoga and meditation.
2.) Apply heat pads or cold packs to the joints which pain.
3.) Exercise regularly and maintain a healthy weight.
4.) Stick to your treatment plan and go for regular follow up.
5.) Avoid alcohol and smoking, if you do.
6.) If noise worsens your tinnitus, cover it up and avoid it.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available to answer your follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you Good Health.

Take Care.

Dr. Mohammed Tauseef.
Follow-up: Tinnitus has remained persistent, constant joint pain with swelling. Even cucurmin has not worked. Why? 4 hours later
Thank you for your prompt answer. Here are the answer to your questions:
1.) What is your Height and weight?
6 feet tall and 188 pounds. Since this has started I gained weight - I was 180, 6 months ago.
2.) Do you have any Joints deformity?
Not visible - but the fingers being constantly swollen might disguise a beginning of deformity.
The onset was by February - brutally, while I was passing a period of EXTREME stress. At that moment the fatigue used to be intense. But the stress might have been the cause. After the stress period which lasted a couple of weeks, the fatigue became less, but the swelling persisted. I did not lose wight - but gained. It is also true that during that period I stopped exercising - I used to do so 2 hours 4-5 times a week. I resumed the swimming only (1 hour) 4/5 times a week and it seems to do me good. However, I am still stressed.
The reason I mentioned the tinnitus was that I read it might be a symptom in RA. I last saw my doctor for a routine FU in May and she ordered an ESR - but her office did not call me back, so I presumed the results were not alarming.

I mentioned

Follow-up: Tinnitus has remained persistent, constant joint pain with swelling. Even cucurmin has not worked. Why? 5 minutes later
I do not and have not had fever.
Thank you again.
Follow-up: Tinnitus has remained persistent, constant joint pain with swelling. Even cucurmin has not worked. Why? 7 minutes later
Hi again,
I saw in your profile that you were involved in clinical trials. This is what I am doing in life - clinical studies in oncology. It's a hard job with tremendous responsibility. But my stress I mentioned above was not related to the job - it was on top of that. But, still, I am permanently stressed out - I know it.
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 37 hours later

Thanks for writing back and good to know that you too are involved in clinical studies which made easy for my post to be understood.

Stress triggers and aggravates many illnesses one amongst would be inflammatory conditions like RA.You should go for mind relaxasation exercises like Yoga, Meditation and breathing exercises like Pranayama etc.That would be first and main step towards prevent worsening and treat the problem.

The symptoms you have are typical for RA though tinnitus is presented in RA the exact pathophysiology is not been established and such presentation is very rare.

For better understanding, conclude the diagnosis of RA and to plan the management I would ask you to get the tests mentioned in my previous post . The tests will bring out the facts and help a lot.If possible get back to me with the reports,we shall have a detailed discussion then.

Wish you good health.