Tingling under armpits and in hands. History of car accident. Suggestions for above symptoms?

The past week I have had tingling sensations under left armpit and some in both hands. Was in small car accident 3 months ago and went thru cardiology testing last two months and those were good. Any suggestions for cause?
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 6 hours later
Hi and thanks for the query,

I do not think these symptoms could actually be linked to the car accident. It is however to consider a few things in your past medical history. is this your first time of experiencing this sensation? Is it accompanied with other signs like weakness of the hands or excessive sweating?

Tingling sensations are generally called paraesthesias. They might come from time to time; simple due to excessive inappropriate excitation of nerve endings, but it becomes problematic when it becomes recurrent. Common causes that need for exclusion electrolyte abnormalities and Vitamin Deficiencies. Blood calcium levels and magnesium levels should be measured. When low, such sensation can be experienced, a measure of blood Vitamin B 12 levels and Vitamin D are very important.

A clinical examination with a proper neurological component well examined. Signs of weakness, muscle power, fasciculations and other signs of atrophy or sensitivity loss in specific areas should be sought for.

I suggest you boon an appointment first with a neurologist for a proper examination and laboratory testing. Most of the times it’s temporal and really need not bother much now.

Thanks and best regards,
Dr Luchuo, MD.