Tingling sensation in right shoulder, high BP. Suggession and treatment?

I'm a 26 year old female in general good health. For about a year I've had a reoccurring tingling sensation in my right shoulder blade, right on the edge of the bone. It typically happens when I'm sitting down with my arms stretched out in front of me (like at a computer, or folding laundry on the couch). It's never painful and only lasts a few seconds.Also, when I had my blood pressure checked at the doctor's office (sitting down, right arm extended) it flared up pretty strongly. I spoke to my doctor about it and she just said that it was strange but nothing to worry about. I want a second opinion. I sometimes have other tingling sensations in my body, but they're more like muscle movements or from sitting/standing in the same position.
Posted Mon, 16 Jul 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 16 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations regarding the symptoms you are experiencing.

From the details provided to me it looks like the tingling sensation in the shoulder is due to irritation of one of the spinal nerve supplying the shoulder blade. These nerve related symptoms are likely to increase during movement or stretch of the nerves. As this is not painful and usually does not indicate any serious underlying Neurological disease I would prefer not to investigate you at this point of time.

My recommendation would be for you to see your Neurologist for a good physical examination and consultation if your symptoms increase in severity or you notice additional symptoms. Medications like pregabalin and Amitryptylline would be of benefit if the tingling starts disabling you.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate.

If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist.