Tingling sensation in ankle. Do I have diabetic neuropathy?

Thank you. You recently answered my questions about Lipitor with great success though I still have some problems. My NEW question however relates to diabetes. I have type 2 and it is reasonably controlled. However I have in the past few weeks noted that my gait is broad based, balance is insecure and at night in bed the soles of my feet up to my ankles start to tingle. Do I have signs of diabetic neuropathy and does that mean I will have renal and eye disorders? Anxious about your answer. Herb, M.P.
Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Pratap VGM 14 days later
Usually flat foot will be associated with neuropathy if the duration of diabetes is more than 5 years.

It causes pain in the foot and it increases on walking and prolonged standing. This condition may or may not be associated with renal problems, as it is associated with neuropathy the chances of development of renal problems is more. For that, you need to be evaluated further.

You need to do certain tests for screening of microvascular complications after consulting your treating doctor.

Feel free to ask Questions.