Tingling in feet. Family history of diabetes and also breast cancer. Have digestion problems. Taking AleeveD

I have tingling in my feet, especially at night...and also my arms and legs get numb frequently. I am not diabetic. I check my blood sugar once a week...steady at 83-87. Diabetes runs in my family and also breast cancer. I also have digestion problems. I feel sick after eating acidic foods, like red peppers, garlic, milk, hot pepper, tomatoes, egg yolk. Infrequently have sinus infections. I now take AleeveD. I just started probiotics complex to try to help my colon.
Posted Sat, 30 Mar 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 18 minutes later
There are three possibilities which point towards the symptoms of tingling of palms, soles and feet.

1)     The first possibility is of a spinal cause like lumbar stenosis or degeneration which is causing nerve irritation. Any spinal cause in the lower spine may be associated with tingling in the soles of feet and legs. So to rule out this possibility you need a MRI whole spine done after consulting a neurologist.

2)     The second possibility at your age is of diabetes as raised blood sugar levels can cause peripheral neuropathy which causes tingling in the extremities. To rule it out you need to get your fasting blood sugar levels and a HBA1c done.

3)     The third possibility is of vitamin B 12 deficiency which is more pronounced if you are a vegetarian. You need to get the levels of vitamin B 12 done to rule out this possibility.

We need to confirm the diagnosis by getting your blood sugar levels, EKG heart, vitamin B 12 levels and a neurological examination from a neurologist done. You should eat a healthy diet consisting more of meat and non veg products which are XXXXXXX sources of vitamin B 12. If you are a vegetarian then you can take vitamin B 12 supplements after consulting your physician.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.