Tightness in throat, diagnosed esophagitis with upper endoscopy. What could cause knot feeling in throat?

ENT Specialist
I have a feeling of a knot in my throat and wonder what could cause this? I had a Upper Endoscophy last week at the GI office and they told me I had esophagitis.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 37 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The tightness or knot like feeling in the throat is due to acid reflux into the throat from the stomach. This usually accompanies esophagitis.

2. The delicate lining (mucosa) of the throat and food pipe is usually in contact with saliva which is alkaline. The gastric acid and digestive enzymes irritate this mucosa. Damage to deeper layers causes spasm of underlying muscle tissue, and dryness leading to the knot like feeling.

3. After six to eight weeks of regular treatment, there is good recovery as this 'globus pharyngeus' disappears. Diet control is also important.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.