Tightness in chest, lump in throat. Could these symptoms be related to stress?

About 2 years ago I lodged a claim as a result of a fall and broken hip. The stress related to this has been unbelievable. I am much improved but feel uncomfortable in the centre of my chest and then get a lump in my throat. It was with me most of the time, but because the past is now out of my life I am much better. Could these symptoms be related to the stress?
Posted Sat, 4 May 2013 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
Suddenly feeling chest tightness, choking and lump in the throat without any cardiac or lung disorder, with no history of smoking, alcohol or drugs points towards anxiety disorder.
To help this problem you can take a few measures-
1.Check your caffeine intake-Avoid drinking too much tea, coffee or cola.
2.Avoid alcohol and cigarette smoking.
3.Try physical exercise like aerobic exercises daily for twenty minutes.
4.Avoid your worries and problems or solve them with the help of your family and friends.
5. Learn controlled breathing.
6. Do simple relaxation exercises like yoga, meditation, etc.
You can also discuss the problem with your GP who will help you in choosing a good antianxiety drug with low day time sedation.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Tightness in chest, lump in throat. Could these symptoms be related to stress? 6 days later
I have just in general conversation talking to my g.p. about other issues in my life and I can't believe how much better I am feeling with the symptoms described to you. So do you believe that my symptoms have been stress and anxiety, seems a long time to be like this, but now that the case I previously described to you is out of my life and talking to you and my g.p. I am hoping to turn my life around. I am drinking less caffeine drinks, walking as best I can and generally feeling good.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
Since you are feeling much better symptomatically, it further suggests that your symptoms were actually related to anxiety. Do continue with the life style modifications and relax.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Tightness in chest, lump in throat. Could these symptoms be related to stress? 18 hours later
I had a very good stress and symptom free day yesterday, but this morning I got the niggles in the chest again and feel quite nervy. Do you think this is all related. I don't believe there is anything drastically wrong as I would have the symptoms all the time. So you would think this is all stress and anxiety related. I look forward to your reply.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
The intermittent symptoms that you are having are likely to be related to stress and anxiety. To be on the safer side, you can get your annual cardiac check up done.