Ask a Urologist   »  

Tight penile foreskin, Done circumcision. What is the reason for darkening of the penis skin?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am a blackman who most of my life has had a pinkish color penis head. Due to tight foreskin, I had to get circumsised around the age of of 15 or 16. Penis head was never really exposed to the elements until up to time of circumsision, thus the pinkish color, unlike my peers who were able to run around with their penises exposed to the sunlight and other elements. Tight foreskins seemed to run on the maternal side of my parents, my own son had thus to be circumsised but this was done during his infancy. His penis head is thus of the natural dark color. I have never had any problems as far as my penis is concerned, no diseases,itching or any such thing. I am now 74 years old but over the last ten years or so, I have started to notice melanin type coloring on various parts of my penis head and in one small part begining from around neck of the penis where the foreskin was cut off. Would just like to know why.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
The increased pigmentation on the penis head is due to an increased melanin production by the pigment producing cells melanocytes. As such it does not indicate any pathology. Most of the times such changes occur due to frequent scarring or friction of the skin with clothes, etc. This chronic irritation sometimes stimulates the melanocytes.
As fore skin of penis is comparatively a sensitive structure, it is more prone to undergo such changes.
Be reassured. You do not have any health problem because of this pigmentation. Three is nothing to feel concerned.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.