Tight and swollen chest after eating, pain in breast bone, followed with bowel movement, gall bladder removed

After I eat my chest gets swollen tightens up and then hurts right below my right breast bone. When it doesnt hurt its numb. I do get full easliy and then with in 15 minutes or so I have the urge to have a bowel movement. i had mt gall bladde removed 2 years ago.
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 26 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand that your present concern is with your chest hurting and bowel emptying too soon.

Given your background, Hyperthyroidism surely does cause abdominal symptoms associated with excessive sympathetic nervous discharges amongst others like palpitation, sweating, tremors etc. If I have to correlate the cause behind your chest tightening or difficulty in breathing as it manifests, and your speedy bowels have the earlier reason in common. So, the thyroid status needs to be checked.

I see that you are already on Levothyroxine tablets daily, but I do not know your routine check ups with the thyroid function tests as they are supposedly mandatory at regular intervals.

So, it is important that you visit the physician who has seen you for your thyroids to review you based on these thyroid over activity symptoms and you will get relief when this underlying cause is rectified.

You are experiencing fullness, also due to the fact that gall bladder has been removed which is responsible for the digestion of fats in your food. So the undigested fats give you the feeling of fullness. You would need to cut down on the same. For a better guidance, you could get a detailed diet chart prepared from a certified dietician on the sidelines.

Your amenorrhoea (absent cycles) has got nothing to contribute to your concern at this stage by the looks of your words.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.