Thyroid condition. On iodine, synthroid. Positive for Graves and Hashimodo's antibodies. Chest twinges cause of worry?

I am a 34 year-old female, 5 ft 4 inches, 128 lbs. I was diagnosed with thyroid problems about three years ago. (I tested positive for both Graves and Hashimodo's antibodies. Strange, I know.) I was given radioactive iodine to "kill" my thyroid, and after about nine months was finally regulated on Synthroid. Six weeks ago my Synthroid was increased from 125mcg to 137 mcg after I began feeling some symptoms of hypothyroidism. Since then I feel significantly better, and my blood tests show that my thyroid levels look perfect (although a full panel indicated that I am anemic and have some vitamin deficiencies). Since the increased Synthroid dose, I have begun to have twinges on the right side of my chest several times a day. They are not painful, nor do I have racing heart rate, irregular heart rate, or anything else associated with the symptoms of hyperthyroidism. (I experienced these symptoms when we were trying to regulate my thyroid, and so I am very familiar with them.) As I mentioned, these twinges aren't painful, but I am aware of them. Is this something I should be concerned about?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. V. Kumaravel 15 hours later

I do understand that you had been treated with radioactive iodine for probable hyper functioning thyroid. Currently you have been prescribed synthyroid for postradioiodine hypothyroidism. your concern seems to be related twinges in your chest.

Radioiodine treatment is usually given for hyperfunctioning of thyroid and as it kills your thyroid gland, you would require life long thyroxine replacement.

If your TSH (Thyroid Stimulating hormone) is low or your Free T4 is high, you would require reduction in dose in consultation with your PCP.

If your thyroid blood tests including TSH and Free T4 are normal, your twinges may not be related to thyroid and hence not a concern.

Your Primary care physician will be the best person to pin point the other causes after detailed examination.

I hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.