Thumb twitch, history of Graves' disease, had thyroidectomy, have anxiety. Is this stress-related?

I am a 35 year old female with a previous history of graves disease. I had a total thyroidectomy and am now in a normal range. Since the thryoid disease I have struggled from time to time from anxiety mostly due to situational stress. I had an episode of a twitch in my left thumb about 4 years ago for a couple of weeks and it eventually went away and never returned until now. I have had it on and off for a few days. I feel fine otherwise except now anxious that something is neurologically wrong with me. I am undergoing a fair amount of stress and think it is a possibility it is related but want to be sure as my husband and I are trying to start a family. I am still able to exercise and perform all normal activites. I have had a recent physical and feel fine otherwise. Is this something I should be worried about with 3-4 years between episodes? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 15 hours later
Hello and thank you for submitting your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some good information regarding what is going on.

Regarding the twitching seen on the left thumb which happened after a span of 4 years, the possibilities can be due to anxiety, fasciculations of the muscles supplying the thumb. Rarely it can be a simple partial seizure. You are on replacement therapy with Levoxyl which can sometimes cause tremors and muscle twitches called fasciculations.

So, at this point of time I feel it is either related to your anxiety or a side effect of Levoxyl. This does not cause any problems to you and go ahead and plan to start your family. Before this I request you to XXXXXXX your Neurologist to rule out a rare possibility of a simple partial seizure before proceeding.

I thank you again for the query and hope you find this reply to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Take care,