Thumb nail turned black after injury. How to get relief from pain?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I jammed my thumb between a pressure roller and a piece of timber and a pressure roller about a month ago, it cut just above the knuckle and left my nail black, it has healed well but I am now always in pain from it
Posted Fri, 15 Mar 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 minutes later
The persistent pain in the thumb even one month after the injury could be due to a bone injury or a tendon injury. A direct examination is needed to find out the cause of pain.
In some cases mild nerve injury can also cause a persistent pain. It is best to avoid any movement of the injured thumb, do a hot compress in the area and consult an orthopedician for a direct examination.
Till then do take a mild pain killer like ibuprofen for symptomatic relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.