Throbbing in neck and throat, painful to speak, dry cough, sweating, stressed. Are my glands swollen?

I have a feeling in my neck or throat that throbs. Every time I sell low it hurts. It feels like pressure just under my ears too. Are my glands swollen? Almost felt like a clamp around my throat st first. It was painful to speak but not because my throat was sore. I have spent the last day sleeping, hot and sweating but not with a really high temperature. I have had a very stressful weekend and i also went to a wedding at which I did drink and smoke quite a lot. Previously, I had not been and I had given up cigarettes for two weeks. I feel like I have just become. Dry run down and I find whenever this happens I suffer with my glands. I couldn't stop coughing last night. Very dry and no relief to it.
It is paInful to swallow and feel like I need to sleep all day.

I am also emotional, tired and up and down. I think the alcohol consumption doesn't help and XXXXXXX down I am annoyed I get drunk at events like these and feel like this afterwards. I hate myself for it and I have seen a counsellor in the past for alcohol dependency. My mother has a history of alcohol abuse.

Where can I get help? I can't afford 50 pounds an hour for a counsellor?
Do I need to go to a doctor?
Posted Mon, 3 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
It seems that sudden smoking and exertion has caused a throat irritation with a mild viral infection of the throat causing swollen neck glands.
Usually such viral infections resolve spontaneously in 3-5 days time. If they worsen, you need appropriate antibiotics.

I suggest the following treatment options currently:
1) For pain relief, anti-inflammatory, fever reducing medications (acetaminophen, ibuprofen) will help you.
2) For sore throat relief you can have salt water gargles (gargle with XXXXXXX warm salt water- one forth teaspoon of salt would be enough in half a cup of water) several times a day, lozenges and warm liquids. Gargling with warm water mixed with dissolvable aspirin can give additional benefits.
3) Avoid Acidic Drinks, Spicy Food and Sour Substances.
4) Consume plenty of water and good fruits and vegetables.

Antibiotics - broad spectrum are a must if you worsen - develop high grade fever, severe pain while swallowing and so on. So seek prompt medical help as and when required. Proper antibiotic therapy will help you in faster recovery.
For alcohol use, you will definitely need medical assistance to get rid of the habit. Trying to wean it out slowly does not help and in the long term may not be productive.

You might consult a deaddiction centre - where under medical supervision you can undergo a detoxification program as well as Behavior counselling.

Detoxification programmes help a person who is dependent on alcohol to cease use in a way that minimizes the symptoms of withdrawal and the risk of complications, sometimes using a prescribed medication.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.