Throat pain on the 8th day after tonsilectomy surgery. Any suggestions ?

I had uup and tonsilectomy surgery 8 days ago. Alot of pain early on but then got more tolerable. Now on day 8,throat is starting to hurt more. Any idea?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 6 hours later

Pain after few days of surgery is normally encountered in post operative patients due to regrowth of the nerve endings damaged during surgery.The pain will soon subside with no complications and the healing can be fastened by taking Multivitamins.

If pain is severe in intensity and is associated with fever then a possibility of post operative infection has to be considered.Then there will be a need for examination and appropriate treatment with antibiotics and anti-inflammatory medications.

Meanwhile do gargle with antiseptic solution like CHLORHEXIDINE twice daily after food, which will prevent the progression of the infection if any.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Follow-up: Throat pain on the 8th day after tonsilectomy surgery. Any suggestions ? 2 hours later
Thanks. I thought that maybe the scabs were coming off and making it sore. Pain is not that bad unless I do something stupid like eating something that my throat isn't ready for yet. How would I know if I have an infection? CHLORHEXIDINE, is this over the counter?
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 5 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for writing back.

If there is an infection you will have fever as a indicating symptom .Also there will generalised swelling in the neck with lymph nodes involved.

Yes, Chlorhexidine is an Over the counter, you need no prescription.

Hope I answered all your questions. Please use any answer clarification before closing and rating this answer. I will be happy to explain or expand on any issue you may have.