Throat discomfort with no pain and swelling. Laryngoscopy clear. What am I suffering from?

Hi, I have discomfort in my throat for yeas (as long as I can remember) with no pain no swelling, it feels like if I had something in my throat, ( this feeling would happen on and off, it would last for a 2-3 days to 2-3 months but lately I had this discomfort for a year now, sometime a light discomfort to a feeling that my airway feels like its closing, then feel ok with a light discomfort, this would happen very quickly in a matter of min. usually it happens when l am under stress, driving long distance) I have gone to my doctor many times for this and was sent to a ENT doctor also, I had a laryngoscope 2 times done to check out my throat, they did not find anything wrong,. I am beginning to think it might be a glad disorder, maybe from some trauma. My mom told me that when I was 3 that I chock on a XXXXXXX that my have cause some damage and trauma. Any suggestions on what to do or look for? I do get a physical each year.
Posted Sat, 27 Apr 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 1 hour later

Thank you for your query.

It is heartening to know that you get a physical examination done every year and the doctors have not found anything significant about your throat problem. Both ENT examination and laryngoscopy have not revealed anything which is a very good thing.

As no medical issue has been found I am looking at this issue with a different perspective. You mentioned that "usually it happens when l am under stress, driving long distance" which needs to be addressed. Probably the stress is subconsciously bringing up the traumatic experience which you had at the age of 3 years. As you have a sweet tooth I suggest that you take in a lozenges when you have such a discomfort and observe.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please revert back in case you need any clarifications or would like to share more facts.

Wishing you all the best.

Rajiv K Khandelwal