Three year old with constipation. Treatment?

can't poomy daughter is three and hasn't pop since Thursday.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 4 hours later

Thank you for posting your query but I am sorry, I am unable to understand the query better.

It would help me much more if you may send your query in detailed explanation. I understand that it is regarding your 3 years old daughter.

Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Three year old with constipation. Treatment? 8 hours later
she hasn't had a bowl movement since and when she does go, they are hard little and round
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 3 hours later
Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information provided.

Your daughter seems to have this problem of not having a bowel movement since Thursday and also when she does, it is hard, little and round.

I would like to suggest you a few things here:

It does not seem like a complete intestinal obstruction, as she is passing stools. It seems to me that she is not consuming adequate fluids and fiber in her diet. Try giving her mashed fruits like banana, XXXXXXX You may also give her fruit juices. If she is not having any other associated symptoms like fever, she will be fine soon. Also, give her plenty of fluids including water orally.

I would suggest you to try these measures first and if still she does not pass stools, then you may consider taking a plain X- XXXXXXX of the abdomen or an Ultrasound scan to rule out any pathology in the abdomen.

Hope this helps. I will be available to answer your follow up queries, if any.