Thigh rashes, rough, red coloration, paining and itching. Is this a common problem due to weather conditions?

Hi Doctor,
My Nephew has developed rashes in his thigh. The hind thigh has become rough with red coloration. This part also pains him and itches. His age is 8 years and he is very active. we are based out of Chennai.
Is this common problem due to weather conditions or needs medical care. Please advice on further course of treatment and care.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 1 hour later
Your nephew may be having a fungal infection called tinea cruris. It is common in active people but for an 8 year old it is a bit odd.

I request you to kindly send me a picture of his rash.

I shall be in a better position to suggest you then.

In the meantime he may apply an antifungal cream like candid twice daily.

Awaiting your response