Thigh pain, unexplained bruise, spread to mid-calf, red dots near bruise. Is this something I need to get checked asap?

I woke up with pain in my upper thigh. The pain turned into a rather large (about the size of my hand) unexplained bruise. Now the bruse seems to be running down my leg in a straight line about half an inch in diameter. Currently it has spread to my mid-calf. There are a couple tiny red dots near the top bruise.
Is this something I need to get checked asap? I have good insurance but have an exam today.
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Development of large unexplained bruise on your leg spontaneously without any history of injury is suggestive of a bleeding disorder. For you this should be treated as an emergency and it needs an immediate medical attention.
You need to attend an ER to get a complete blood coagulation profile checked with APTT and platelet count to rule out other possible causes like thrombocytopenia.
This can also happen due to a viral infection in the recent past- decreases the synthesis of platelets from the bone marrow.
Presence of any autoimmune disorders also needs to be ruled out.
The treatment is based on the diagnosis and severity of the problem. Treatment is usually done by fluid infusion, steroids, immunoglobulins, blood transfusions, etc according to the severity of the condition.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.