Thick knuckles, black and hard skin. Used lightening creams and moisturizers. Help!

I have extremely thick knuckles, the skin skin is near black, wrinkled and at times very hard. I've used lightening creams (maybe not potent enough), moisturizers, and nothing thus far seems to work. I hide my hands every chance I get. It is humiliating. Please help
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 5 hours later

The problem that you have mentioned is called 'knuckle pad pigmentation'. It is a common, innocuous but a troublesome problem. The cause is unknown and sometimes it tends to run in families.

Unfortunately, creams do not help much in this condition.

You may go for chemical peeling such as strong Trichloro acetic acid (TCA) peels. I have done quite a few patients with reasonable improvement and a few failures too (mind you, this is not a FDA approved treatment).

Continue using good moisturizers.

Consult a dermatologist personally and discuss the option of chemical peels.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Thick knuckles, black and hard skin. Used lightening creams and moisturizers. Help! 46 hours later

I do not have health insurance; and would like to know if the Trichloro acetic acid you referred to can be purchase online. If so, can you advice on a legit site to purchase it. Also, how do I apply it and how often?

Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 4 hours later

Trichloroacetic acid or TCA cannot be bought online and it is strictly for a medical professional's use only. It is not a home based treatment. I would strictly advise you not to use this product on your own.