Ask a Dentist   »  

The back of tongue has yellow skin and red bumps on back of throat. What is it?

The back of my tongue is white/yellow film on it and red bumps at the back of my throat
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later

Hi there XXXXXXX Thank you for posting your question. I will do my best to help you.

Any coating on your tongue reflects an infection of either a fungus (candidiasis) or a bacteria or both.

You need to check that you do not have diabetes and review any immune suppressing drugs that you may be on long-term.

To help diagnose what the offending organism actually is a swap of your tongue may help. I would also start using Mycostatin oral drops and I would eat lots of natural yogurt throughout the day and hold this in your mouth for a minute before swallowing.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.