Tested negative for hepatitis b and immunity against Hep B is positive. What should I do?

Hello doctor..

I just received my report for the blood test I have done, which turned negatives for CHLAMYDIA,GONORRHEA, and HEPATITIS C. However, my concern is about HEPATITIS B result, which I've uploaded an image from its result for you to look at.

I just want to be clarified about what the result says because I'm worried and have a doubt that there is something disturbing in the result.

Please look at the result and explain to me everything about it. Although the nurse said that I'm fine, but I'm still worried about my future!!. The result says in the end (Patient has immunity to hepatitis B virus) I'm confused now, did I already have it and my body got rid off it, or I do not have it and they just detected that I have immunity. At the same time I don't remember that I've been vaccinated for hepatitis b, so my question is how do I have immunity?

Thanks in advance.
Posted Fri, 15 Feb 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi ,
Thanks for writing in.
Ive gone through the report uploaded.
There is nothing to be worried about.
The report particularly states that you are hepatitis B negative and you dont have the disease.
The last part about you having immunity against Hep B is actually positive point as it indicates that you have immunity against the infection.
Immunity is usually acquired by vaccination against Hep B.Vaccination develops antibody which prevents hep B infection in future.
To sum up there is nothing to be worried about and you can rest assured about the result and you are free of disease.

Hope this clears the confusion.
I will be available for follow up.

Follow-up: Tested negative for hepatitis b and immunity against Hep B is positive. What should I do? 27 minutes later
Thank you very much doctor for your answer, which makes me better!

I asked the nurse if I need to have a vaccine for hep b and she said you can't have it because you're already.... in this point I didn't catch what she said!!, so I don't know if she said because the disease is already in my body, or because I'm already vaccinated!!.

Anyway, let's imagine that I haven't been vaccinated. In this case, is there a way to make sure that I'm already vaccinated or not?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 31 minutes later
Hi again,
If you are not vaccinated for hepatitis B then there is a chance that you have been infected with Hepatitis B in past and that infection has given you immunity against the
In this case we can assume that you had hepatitis B in past and you are immune to it.

Total hepatitis B core antibody (anti-HBc) appears at the onset of symptoms in acute hepatitis B and persists for life. The presence of anti-HBc indicates previous
or ongoing infection with hepatitis B virus in an undeļ¬ned time frame.
So as you are not Hep B surface antigen positive and have only anti HBc antibody it indicates a past infection with hep B.But you are not infective and you cannot spread the infection.

Now the next step for confirmation would be to get Hepatitis B HBV DNA titre to be done.
If you dont have any symptoms of hepatitis now or in past then you can safely ignore the reports.
Hope this helps.
Hep B and its markers have complicated interpretation .You can have a look at following link to understand basics of the markers.
Follow-up: Tested negative for hepatitis b and immunity against Hep B is positive. What should I do? 23 minutes later
You are right doctor. The nurse mentioned that "I have hep b in past history, but it's not contagious". I haven't felt any symptoms of hep b in my life, which I hope it's good news so far.

My question now is..

Do I have this infection for sure and must be treated?, or should I have vaccine for it?, or I can ignore these steps because I'm fine?

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 3 hours later
Hi again,
As said previously if you are asymptomatic before and are asymptomatic now there is nothing more to be done.
As you are already immune you dont need vaccination.
As the infection is old and not acute Np treatment can be given now.
In absence of symptoms there is nothing more that needs to be done.

If you are able to perform HBV DNA test in blood it is the ideal next thing to do.
This can be done at your convenience.
Hope this helps.

Follow-up: Tested negative for hepatitis b and immunity against Hep B is positive. What should I do? 16 hours later
Thanks doctor..

my last two questions..

1/ I'm gonna get married after 6 months and the law in my country requires both couples must make blood test for hep b and other infections and I really hope to find a way to get rid off this infection, so they can't detect it in the future, here I need your suggestion for what to do!

2/ Let's imagine that I'm married now and as long as the nurse told me that the infection I have or had is NOT CONTAGIOUS, do you think I can have unprotected sex with my wife and the disease will not be transmitted to her and also she can use my stuff?

I hope you answer my questions separately!

Thank you very much Dr XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 7 hours later
Hi again,
1) There is nothing much you can do change your status now.When you will be checked for Hep B at the time of marriage same report will come up.
They will allow you to get married as you are not infectious and you are immune to hep B.
2)As you are not infectious you can have unprotected sex with wife and she can use your stuff.You cannot transmit the disease to your wife.

Hope this clears up the matter.
If you are satisfied with the answer please accept it and rate it at the end.