Tested negative for HIV few months after exposure. Should I get it checked again?

Question
I've tested hiv negative 5 different times after 90 days from a risk event. How conclusive it that or is it necessary to keep check after 180 days?
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 55 minutes later
Hi
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The window period for HIV is 3-6 months which means that the virus can appear in serology between 3-6 months. Thus the protocol for testing is at 6 months, then at 3 months and then at 6 months.

You have tested negative for 90 days which is most probable that you might not be having HIV but it is still not exempted as the window period is for 6 months therefore you are still at risk

It is recommended to test again at 180 days.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask

Thanks

Follow-up: Tested negative for HIV few months after exposure. Should I get it checked again? 16 hours later
That was the most clinical / safe answer I have heard. Is there a more researched, better answer to my question?

Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 3 hours later
Well there is no answer other than you are still at risk although which is now much lower but it is still there and you have to test again at 6 month post exposure which if states negative report will completely rule you out of risk. there are some other techniques for screening but ELISA is about 99% accurate and specific and you only have to wait 90 more days.

Thanks

Follow-up: Tested negative for HIV few months after exposure. Should I get it checked again? 4 hours later
I might not have been very specific. I understand that I must test again in 3 months, but I think I'm just looking for a little percentage or comforting or something. I'm sorry to bother you with this question, but being a health person with no immune deficients or other problems I'm just wondering how I'm doing after 107 days of testing negative. Again, sorry for the mundane question that I probably know the answer to. Just looking for some help to get me through the next 70ish days. Thanks for any help.

Don't be sorry. we are here to answer your each and every query you had in your mind.

To be honest, In my opinion you have tested negative till now and have no immune deficiencies and having good health, so, it probably means you are free of the disease and hopefully you will be. I would like to report to you negative but as health care provider we have to follow protocols to keep you on the safe side of the health.

However for your comfort, As you have tested negative till now, There are more than 90% chances that you are not having the disease.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask. it will be my pleasure to keep answering you

Thanks