Tested negative for HBsAG but reactive for core antibodies for hep b. What are the risk to unborn?

i tested negative for HBsAG but reactive for core antibodies for hep b since i had been exposed to hep b when i was a child. i recently delivered twins and want to know what this means for them. they did not receive hep b vaccines yet since i was misinformed about my test results. i was tested for HBsAG while i was pregnant but not for HBcAB. I only recently found out about my reactive test results due to blood tests that were done for cord blood registry. should i be concerned that i may have exposed my newborn twins to hep b?
Posted Mon, 1 Apr 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 19 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
Interpretation of HBcAB positive result with negative HBsAG is clinically difficult and is often not done. The presence of HBcAB simply means you have come in contact with the virus sometime in the past. Is it completely cleared off or does the virus still exist? With negative HBsAG, an answer cannot be given. Your children could really need be vaccinated. Generally, vaccination is based in HBsAG positivity. The practice differs from centre to centre, but I suggest you get advice from a gastroenterologist.
Repeating the tests for HBcAB and HBsAG could be wothwhile. If the results still stand out same with HBsAG being negative, and HBcAB being positive, you get the children vaccinated.
But as far as you are concerned, you are ok provided the HAsAG results remain negative.
Thanks and best regards,
Do not hesitate asking further questions and consulting your gastroenterologist for test reconfirmation could be comforting. You need not worry.
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Tested negative for HBsAG but reactive for core antibodies for hep b. What are the risk to unborn? 42 hours later
can i give my twins hep b since i have core antibodies to hep b from a past exposure? wondering if there might be a chance of infection during labor and delivery; i had a c-section
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 18 minutes later
Hi and thanks for the query,
In my humble opinion, if you do another control test and you are still HBsAG negative and HBcAB positive, you can go ahead and vaccinate the children.
Thanks and best regards,
But an appointment with your gastroenterologist is very welcome.
Nice day,
Luchuo, MD. Feel free asking further questions if need be,