Tested for total cholesterol, ldl and hdl. What does the report say?

Jun 2015

My Total Cholesteral is 174, LDL 106, HDL 30. I eat healthy and exercise but my HLD always stays around thirty. Should I be concerned.
Posted Thu, 21 Feb 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Polash Sannigrahi 4 hours later
Hello dear...
The tests such as Total cholesterol, LDL, HDL are grouped as lipid profile tests, which determine the risk of coronary heart disease in an individual.
The results of the lipid profile are considered along with other known risk factors of heart disease to develop a plan of treatment and follow-up.
The values of Total cholesterol & LDL as mentioned in your post are essentially within normal limits, but the levels of HDL can be considered below normal. (Low HDL is defined as a level less than 40 mg/dl)
This can be a reason of studies have shown that an individual has increased risk for heart disease or stroke if HDL is low, even if the LDL or total cholesterol is well controlled.
Measures to increase HDL includes:
1. Lifestyle & diet modifications: such as regular exercise, avoid smoking, reduced consumption of carbohydrates, increase consumption of omega-3 fatty acids (such as fish oil) & a diet enriched with fruits, vegetables, whole grains, olive oil, and legumes is associated with increased HDL
2. Medications: such as Fibrates, Niacin, Omega-3 fatty acid supplements.
But they should always be consumed under the guidance of a Doctor to avoid their unwanted side effects.
Wishing you a Good Health. Let me know if I need to clarify further.
Thanks & take care.