Test showed blood pressure 110 systolic, chest clear. What does this mean?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013

Question
I've just had a check up with my cardiologist aged 43 after my MI in November 2010 and his notes say: Blood pressure 110 systolic, chest is clear.
What does the following mean???
sinus rythym 67 with some minor inferior repolarisation changes.
Many Thanks
XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Heart Attack

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX
History of MI 2 years back with dyslipidemia is not a good sign.
While with normal left ventricular function is a good sign.
You should consult with your treating doctor and should take medicines properly.
Blood pressure for a 43 years person is 120/80 mmHg.
So if your systolic blood pressure is maintained at 110 mm Hg, then it should be considered as controlled.
Those patients who have left ventricular failure with decreased ejection fraction may have fine/ coarse crepts on auscultation. This is because of decreased pumping activity of heart with pulmonary congestion.
As you are taking Bisoprolol, a beta blocker, there is obvious chance of bradycardia (your heat rate is 67 bpm).
Continue your Bisoprolol as advised by your treating doctors, keep it up to 60 bpm, not below this.
As you have history of inferior wall MI, there is chances of inferior repolarization changes. Damage of heart muscles due to MI gives appearance of loss of wall with opposite direction of vector, thats why repolarization occurs.
Put your views also.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Test showed blood pressure 110 systolic, chest clear. What does this mean? 11 minutes later
Thank-you but you haven't answered my
question!
What are these repolarisation changes and what
do they mean?
My echocardiogram showed no damage
to the heart muscle as I got to hospital
in 2010 very quickly.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 10 hours later
Hi XXXXXXX
Echocardiogram doesn't show damage of muscle but it can show regional wall akinesia.
There is difference between echocardiogram and ECG findings.
I have already mentioned that because of previous Inferior wall MI, now ECG will show negative Q wave due to opposite direction of vector.
This will not indicate ongoing disease.
Repolarization is a slurring or notching producing a hump-like feature called a J wave, typically found at the junction at the end of the QRS complex and the beginning of the ST segment.
It is a common phenomenon (2-5%).
Sincerely,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava