Test report showing adrenal adenomas on adrenal gland. Aldosterone level was low. Advised to take saline infusion test. Is it necessary?

I just completed a group of tests after discovering 2 one cm adrenal adenomas on my adrenal gland. Of all the test that came back the doctor only commented on my aldosterone level with was taken sitting down. It was 15.3. My endocrinologist ordered a saline infusion test that sounds like a ordeal. Under what circumstances is this test necessary? thanks
Posted Fri, 8 Nov 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 10 days later
Brief Answer:
To rule out Conn's syndrome

Detailed Answer:
The saline infusion test is performed to confirm the diagnosis of 'Primary Hyperaldosteronism' also eponymously called Conn's syndrome. Simply put, it aims to look for aldosterone excess in the body. The adrenal glands normally make aldosterone, a hormone that participates in blood pressure regulation. It is made by the adrenal glands. The adenomas that have been detected in your adrenal gland could potentially be making excess aldosterone. There are a few screening tests to evaluate for this condition. One of them is called ARR (Aldosterone to Renin Ratio). It is a blood test. If the result is abnormal, endocrinologists typically proceed to confirm the diagnosis. There are couple different tests for this too. Saline infusion is one of them.