Test done for HIV 1 and 2 Eclia. What does the numbers 0.30 and 0.25 mean?

HIV AIDS Specialist
On my previous HIV 1 and 2 Eclia test result is 0.30 non reactive. As requested by the doctor, I need to undergo confirmatory test 6 months after my first rest. The result is 0.25 non reactive. What does the numbers 0.30 and 0.25 mean? As i have know, up to 0.25 is on the borderline and above 0.30 will be positive to HIV.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 38 minutes later

As you rightly pointed out, every lab test will have a cut off value which is marked by the manufacturer of that product along with the kit itself. Similarly HIV ELISA also has that cut off value.

However you need not bother about the cut off value. What we have to bother is the final end result expressed by the laboratory in charge person who is supposed to be expert in this field. In your case the cut off value which is anything above 1 will be considered as reactive for HIV and anything below 1 is nonreactive.

Accordingly your values are very much below the cut off value.

If you ELISA after 6 months remain nonreactive for HIV, you have to cheer up and remove all your worries about the same. Most of the results are more than 98% reliable.
So you need not worry any more.

Hope this answers your query. Here afterwards try to follow protected sex. Let me know if you have any other queries.

Dr S.Murugan
Follow-up: Test done for HIV 1 and 2 Eclia. What does the numbers 0.30 and 0.25 mean? 2 hours later
Since I did the confirmatory test for HIV and resulted to 0.25, it means that I am confirmed to have NO HIV?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 13 minutes later
Thanks for your feedback question.

HIV ELISA is not confirmatory. As I said previously it is 98% reliable. Two consecutive tests are negative, that too after 6 months is more reliable and you can relax as well.
Western Blot and HIV DNA PCR are more confirmatory and they are not necessary unless you are having any suspicious symptoms. Symptoms in HIV disease appear after the immunity goes below a warning point and that may take 5-6 years.

If you are disturbed very much and anxiety mounts, then you have to go for confirmatory tests.
MY ADVICE FOR YOU IS confirmatory test is not necessary and you will not get HIV FROM THE PREVIOUS sexual contact.

Dr S.Murugan