Tender and hard spot on ribcage, painful. What's wrong?

Just under my rib cage off to the right, it is very tender and considerably harder than the spot on the left of my ribcage. it is also quite painful. Someone said this is near where my liver is. The pain is getting worse and the tenderness extends across to the center just below my ribcage. I've noticed it since July, but not with this much hardness and pain. What's wrong?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 3 hours later

Thanks for the query

You can help me by getting back to me with the following questions

1. Is the pain present through out the day? What relieves Pain
2. Any history of fever ?
3. Does pain increase or decrease with respiration
4. Have you lost weight? If yes then how much
5. When was the last time an liver function test was done and last time an ultra sound abdomen was done
6. How long have you been having hepatitis c

Hepatitis c is a long standing problem and it is the most chronic of the hepatitis. It is however very slow to progress compared to the other hepatitis

Since you have said that the hardness and tenderness have been present since 6 months then i recommend you to XXXXXXX your gastroenterologist soon. It is not a good sign that the area under the right lower rib cage has become tender and hard.

Please get back to me with the questions I have asked , I am awaiting your answer

I wish you good health

Follow-up: Tender and hard spot on ribcage, painful. What's wrong? 4 hours later
Your first question...I will answer by the number you gave each question.
1. Yes, pain present thru out the day,...Ibuprophen helps
2. fever
3. Somewhat...but not real noticable.
4. No weight is consistent.
5. Bloodwork done 6 months ago and enzymes normal. Ultrasound, never.
6. First told i had hep c 28-30 years ago.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 14 hours later

Thanks for replying.

Based on your history, I feel you have a ‘pleuritic’ kind of chest pain.

Pleura is what lines your lung; it is an empty space which helps your lung expand while inspiring. Sometimes this pleural cavity gets infected or air enters into them which cause pain similar to yours.

This particular issue does not seem to be one that involves hepatitis c problem, especially as your liver function tests were normal.

I would suggest you to approach a pulmonologist for a detailed examination. You might need to undergo X -ray/CT scans to confirm the diagnosis. Meanwhile, continue taking ibuprofen. Watch out for gastritis. Stop using pain killers if you develop indigestion issues / gastritis.

I hope I have answered your query, if you have no further queries please accept my answer.

I wish you good health.