Teenager overweight, diffused hair loss, elevated triglycyerides. Why does not eat well? Is there a thyroid syptom?

My 14 year old son is overweight (measures 5' 10 1/2", weight is approx 220-225), and has diffused hair loss (since the age of 8 or 9). His latest blood work has come in with a normal TSH range, a slightly low T4 total, and slightly elevated triglycerides. I have at least 3 family members, 2 of whom are immediate members, who suffer from hypothyroidism. Pediatrician has checked his thyroid every year during his well visits, and has said everything is normal. He doesn't eat well (mostly carbs), but I don't feel he eats the amounts of food necessary to be gaining so much weight, all the time. Can my son be suffering from some thyroid condition that is presenting these symptoms?
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Abid 1 hour later
HI there and sorry to hear about your son.
As you mentioned your son has diffuse hair loss,weight gain,and other health issue,hair loss can be associated with other autoimmune disease,term Hashimotos disease is used for such type of thyroid disease in which thyroid dysfunction can have associated autoimmune disease,I will suggest you to consult Endocrinologist and discuss with him/her to rule out the possibility of Hashimotos disease. A simple thyroid profile test will confirm the condition.
I can be helpful if you have further queries regarding your son.