Tape worm, parasite concern

Tape worm/parasite concern

Hello: last night i cooked a chicken roaster that i bought from the store. It was in the oven until the included thermometor popped. It seemed done but after i ate, i saw a few areas of the chicken that seemed to be underdone, and a part of the bone that i cut was red. To add to my concern, my wife had forgotten to take the bag of innerds out of the chickens cavity. We had potatoes that essentially were covered in the juices of this.

I am extremely worried about now having a parasite, especially a tapeworm. I am a bodybuilder and cannot afford to lose any weight. Should i be worried about this? Thank you.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 15 hours later

Getting tapeworm infestation by eating undercooked chicken is a definite possibility provided the local prevalence of tapeworm infestation is high.

Tapeworm cestodes are destroyed if cooked to a temperature of more than 135 degree Fahrenheit.

If you are too concerned, I would suggest you to take antihelmenthics like tablet albendazole after discussing with your physician. One tablet today and another taken after 15 days should be sufficient to protect you against the infestation. A prescription from your primary healthcare provider may be needed to avail this drug.

Hope I have been helpful to you.

Wish you good health.