Ask a Dentist   »  

Taking zithromax for abscessed tooth. Getting pain along with swelling. Should I take augmentin or zithromax?

I am treating abscessed tooth for patient on zithromax. Opened tooth and drained becaused of localized swelling. Can I re rx zithromax or instead go immediately to augmentin?
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Qazi Ammara 27 minutes later

Infected tooth can be treated with Root Canal Treatment and saved permanently.
Tooth pain along with swelling indicates infection of the tooth that had spread to the periapical tissue leading to abscess formation.

Instead of zithromax , I would suggest you to take Augmentin 625 mg along with tab aceclofenac serratiopeptidease twice for three days, this will definitely subside your pain and swelling.

Antibiotics and analgesic will give temporary relief.

Get the Root Canal treatment Completed.

Unless your infected tooth is devitalized, disinfected and sealed to the apex you will have pain and infection.

Hope this helps out.

Dr Qazi Ammara.