Taking zentel. Started pain in stomach and gastritis. Is this normal?

I'm taking Zentel, the dose the doctor recommended is one 200mg tablet every 12 hours for 5 days and I am on my 4thday and having a lot of pain in the top of my stomach and a lot of gas. Is this normal? Do I skip tonight's dose until I feel better tomorrow? What can I take for the pain ?
Posted Mon, 30 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

I would like to know a few more things in order to help you

1. Why was zentel given in the first place?
2. How many doses of Zentel left?
3. What other drugs are you on apart from Zentel and Paxil.

Please get back to me, I am awaiting your reply

Follow-up: Taking zentel. Started pain in stomach and gastritis. Is this normal? 5 hours later
After an endoscopy I was prescribed with Zentel. I have two tablets left, no other drugs other than Lanzoprazol.
Answered by Dr. Rakesh Madhyastha 1 hour later

Thanks for writing back

If you have two tablets of zentel left then I suggest you finish the dose but make sure you take a prophylactic proton pump inhibitor like pantoprazole before taking the tablets however if you are no able to tolerate at all then you can skip it as well. Please approach your doctor for a prescription. Pantoprazole is taken on empty stomach early in the morning
It is most likely that you are suffering from antibiotic induced gastritis which can be quite severe at times. Make sure to avoid spicy food items, coffee, tea and smoking as these can worsen the situation

I hope I have answered your query, please accept my answer if you have no further ones

I wish you good health