Taking vertin and amitone for vertigo. Ct scan came normal. Is this curable?

i am suffering from vertigo since two months kindly let me know if it is cureable or not i have been prescribed with vertin 16mg three times a day and amitone 25mg two times a day.kindly help i have had mri brain and venography ct scan and all show normal report i feel terrible
Posted Sat, 6 Apr 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 44 minutes later

Thanks for the query,

Before I respond to your query, let me tell you the vertigo can be due to various reasons. Common conditions like paroxysmal vertigo and migraine can sometimes present like this. If you do not have another symptoms except vertigo of short duration, paroxysmal positional vertigo is the most likely possibility. If the duration is longer the other possibility of migraine need to be considered.

As the MRI and other investigations are normal in your case, it has ruled out serious problem in the brain which can present in the same way.

Let me tell you that your problem is not serious and you will certainly improve. A physical examination by a neurologist will be required to differentiate between the the possibilities. As the likelihood of having a positional paroxysmal vertigo is high, you will improve with exercises called LABYRINTHINE EXERCISES. This will be taught by a neurologist and demonstrated to you in the office. With due respect to your physician i want to say that there is no role of these medications in the management vertigo in patients with paroxysmal positional vertigo. In fact these medications should be avoided.
My advise will be to consult a specialist in vertigo.

I hope that I have clarified your query; Please let me know if you have any concern in this issue

Best wishes

Dr Gopal K Dash
Consultant Neurologist XXXXXXX Hrudayalaya hospital, Bangalore
Follow-up: Taking vertin and amitone for vertigo. Ct scan came normal. Is this curable? 41 hours later
I was admitted to hospital a week ago and my neurosurgeon had said that i was having infection which has caused me this problem. i was given tazira every 8 hrs. now i have been discharged from hospital but the problem persists. as i said i am been said to take augmentin 1gm twice daily for 7 days, vertin16mg thrice daily for 10 days and amitone 25mg twice daily for 30 days. i had visited apollo hyderabad recently at hyderabad there the doctor has sugested nootrpil 800mg twice daily and vertin 16mg as and when i feel giddiness. now iam confused which medicines to take. i am still continouing with vertin and amitone as the neurosurgon is near to my place and if any seriousness i can visit him. i am at leave from my office since two weeks please suggest me what to do as it is affecting my job as well and how long will it take to get cured.
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 21 hours later

Thanks for the feedback,

I understand your concern

I advise you to follow the instructions and medications prescribed by your neurosurgeon.

With due respect to the physician at the Apollo Hyderabad, I feel that there is no need to be on NOOTROPIL. In fact there is no scientific evidence for a definite role of this particular medication in your case.

I will like to know the exact nature of infection and your other investigation data (including lumbar puncture, MRI finding if any) to say about the duration for your recovery.

Please provide me the data.

I will get back to you soon.

Best wishes,
Follow-up: Taking vertin and amitone for vertigo. Ct scan came normal. Is this curable? 48 hours later
Hello sir,

The MRI report says
E/o bilateral maxillary and sphenoid sinusitis is seen
no significant abnormality seen in brain parenchyma
no dural venous sinus thrombosis seen on MR venogram

I feel like i am drunk and the problem is still there and limiting myself to home only and i am on leave even now. it is affecting my job. Kindly suggest some exercises or let me know if some surgery is required to get it cured as soon as possible
Answered by Dr. Gopal Krishna Dash 8 hours later

Thanks for your feed-back

I understand your problem

The good news is that your brain parenchyma is normal and you stay relaxed.

Infection in the sinuses listed will generally not produce the symptoms of vertigo.

You can do Brandt-Darrof exercises (will be guided by your local ENT specialist/neurologist). This exercises improves the vertigo in patients with paroxysmal positional vertigo, which is the commonest cause of vertigo. If this fails to improve, I advise you to get evaluated by a neurophysician with specialization in vertigo. Vertin may not help and the cause of vertigo needs to be identified.

I hope that I have clarified your query,
Please get to me in case you have any concern
Best wishes