Ask a Urologist   »  

Taking triprim for UTI. Experiencing indigestion and chest heaviness. Are they related?

Hi I have a UTI that I am taking Triprim for. I am also experiencing a heavy chest feeling and an indigestion feeling as well as a gnawing feeling in my stomach. Could it all be related? XXXXXXX age 45
Posted Wed, 13 Feb 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 21 minutes later

Trimprim contains trimethoprim - an antibiotic. And one commonly encountered side effect of Trimethoprim is gastric upset (gastritis) which manifests with symptoms like indigestion, heaviness in the chest, etc. Therefore your current symptoms may be due to drug induced gastritis.

You can try antacids like Syp Gelusil three times a day before food for few days. Avoid any spicy food and beverages. Antigastric drugs which as prescription medications such as ranitidine/pantoprazole can give added benefits.

If the above measures fail to reduce the side effects you may have to consult your treating doctor and get the medication revised.

Hope I answered your query. Please do let me know if there are any other concerns.

Follow-up: Taking triprim for UTI. Experiencing indigestion and chest heaviness. Are they related? 1 hour later
I am also taking 40 mg of nexium daily
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 8 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Nexium (Esomeprazole) is a medicine given to avoid/treat gastritis. Please do continue the same. This will help to reduce the gastritis caused by Trimprim. If it doesn't get better, visit your treating doctor again. He will be able to make he necessary changes, if required.

Wish you good health.