Taking treatments of redation for 4th stage liver cancer. Will it be safe to go for chemo?

My husband has 4th stage liver cancer. He took 5 treatments of redation and the 5th one made him so sick and weak that they say his body won't tolerate any more raditation. They want to do chemo next week but will it help him or just make him sicker since he is in the 4th stage. They gave him less than two months to live a month ago.
Posted Sat, 1 Dec 2012 in Cancer
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 7 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

I am sorry to know about your husband. As it is stage 4 and he is not tolerating any treatment the expected result is poor. But I need a few more details like the type of cancer, where all it has spread, etc. What is his general condition? How much mobile is he? Is he able to take care of his daily living activities?

It will also be helpful if you can attach few reports (like CT scan, biopsy) in the query.

I will be happy to answer any follow-up queries.
Best Wishes,
Follow-up: Taking treatments of redation for 4th stage liver cancer. Will it be safe to go for chemo? 10 hours later
the cancer started in the pancreatis and a month later the liver. He had two biopsy done. He is tired all the time. Mornings are better for him and he can get around better . He drags his feet when he walks and at time he is out of breath.I know he isn't going to live much longer but I want the truth about the chemo treatment. If it won't help I don't want him to go through the pain that comes with it. I would rather he have some quality of life even if its only a day.
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 43 minutes later
Ok, then he has pancreatic cancer, which is stage 4, as it has spread to the liver. Survival for this condition is not great and chemo rarely makes a difference. Going by his general condition I don't feel he is a good candidate for chemo.

As you have rightly pointed out that quality of life is paramount here and chemo may worsen it further. I would advice only palliative care for him.