Taking treatment for hypothyroidism. Have swelling on legs. All test normal except sed rate. Concerned

I am a 35 yr old female and I have swelling in my legs so I went to the doctor. I have not had any infections of any kind. I should also mention that I have Hypothyroidism (currently being treated) and I have been having some pain in the knee I had surgery on 15 years ago. Anyway the Dr. ordered a bunch of blood work work to check kidneys, liver, full cbc, thyroid and sed rate. All Tests were with in normal limits except my sed rate was 49. What could this be from. I made the mistake of googling it and cancer came up. Should I be concerned? I have to see my dr. again in two weeks and that seems so far away so I wanted someone elses input.
Posted Wed, 1 May 2013 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ishfaq Habib 1 hour later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

The raised ESR does not signifies any disease. It is raised in many condition like arthritis, TB, chronic inflammation, cancer and anemia. If you are having pain in the knee which might be arthritis that is a type of inflammation, so its common cause for raising ESR. In conditions like TB or Cancer the ESR is more than 100. The swelling legs might be due to edema and the cause for edema is already your diagnosis that is you are hypothyroidism so there is nothing much to worry about.

If you still have some query, feel free to ask