Taking treatment for graves disease. Why are my underarm glands swollen and painful before period?

Hi, I am 40 yrs old and I am taking the treatment for graves disease. I am wondering why my underarm glands swollen and feel a bit painful sometimes just before my period and it will go away when my period finish.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 12 minutes later

You are suffering from Graves’s disease and are on medication for it. Additionally you get enlargement of your underarm glands before periods and it goes away afterwards.

There is a lot of extra activity in the body including fluid retention few days before and during periods. This may sometimes lead to swelling, headache, breast heaviness, increase in blood pressure and lethargy (different reactions in different people). As the symptoms go away after periods, the underarm enlargement of glands is probably part of this reaction.

You may try some pain killer if the pain is severe and bothering.

Hope this answers your query. Do let me know if you have a follow up query. If you do not have any further queries, kindly accept this answer.