Taking topamax for weight loss. Getting severe side effect. Safe to stop taking medicine?

I have been taking Topamax 25mg for 16 days for weight loss. The side effects are horrible I want to stop taking them Do I have to taper off or can I just stop since it was a low dose for just 16 days?
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 21 minutes later
Hello ,
Topomax (topiramate) is actually an anti migrane drug.
In few studies it was seen that it causes weight reduction and hence was approved by US FDA for weight control.
However the results are not so good.
Only 15 % people show reduction in weight.
You have taken a good decision to stop taking it.
Regarding tapering, you have taken it for a very short period, hence tapering wont be a big problem, there wont be any withdrawal effects.
Take the tablet on alternate days for a week and then you can stop.
Take it only at bed time.

Let me know if you have any more questions.
Thank you
Follow-up: Taking topamax for weight loss. Getting severe side effect. Safe to stop taking medicine? 3 hours later
I guess I should have mentioned that I have been off for 2 days because my vision had gotten blurry...its actually better already so I really hate to start back unless absolutely necessary...I don't want any seizures. Should I start back just to taper offor see how it goes?
Answered by Dr. Rahul Kumar 10 minutes later
thank for writing back
No, please don't start it again. If you have already left it is good enough.
Actually we prescribe it for years so we gradually taper. You have taken it just for 16 days and have already stopped since 2 days, so there is no need to start.
Don't worry, things should settle down soon.

Hope that helps