Taking rosuvastatin 5mg for leg pain. Test showed borderline uric acid. Should I take extra protein?

I am taking rosuvastatin - 5mg/ day due to which muscular craps ( legs and hands) observed. suspected RHABDOMYOLYSIS. As per reports my uric acid is borderline . Should I take extra protin or what else .
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
I have seen your reports and feel that primary reason for your muscle pain in legs and hands is not due to side effect of rosuvastatin.Rhabdomylosis,means muscle necrosis  which occurs more in crush injuries of body,results in many changes of blood chemistry like rise in creating kinase of more than five times it's upper limit along with high potassium and low calcium.Your values of potassium and calcium are normal.
Statins can cause myopathy or myosotis which can be diagnosed by estimation of serum creating kinase.
Your symptoms of tiredness seem to be due to low VIT D and hypothyroidism.
Ideal level of VIT D should be around 50,while yours value are 10 and similarly TSH levels in blood should be below 3 while your value is around 9.
Both of these can be corrected by proper medication like taking VIT D and taking synthetic thyroid hormone.
You should talk to your doctor for the appropriate medicines and do get tested for CPK level in blood.

For border line high uric acid ,there is no need to take any medicine.Just take some dietary precautions like
Avoid sugared drinks like cola and alcohol specially beer and wine
Avoid red meat and liver
Avoid mushroom,spinach,sweet potatoes,broccoli ,bread etc
Take plenty of water

I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Taking rosuvastatin 5mg for leg pain. Test showed borderline uric acid. Should I take extra protein? 19 minutes later
Respected Sir,

Thanks for your kind advise. Presently I am on Vit-D sachets ( "D-RISE" ) and the medication of my hyperthyroid ( Methimezole ) is stopped due to high TSH 9.0 , just now.

Additionly , I would like to inform you that in my last 2-3 reports of CBC total WBC (6100) where Neutrophiles are 38% (Normal : 45-75%) and Lymphocytes are 54 % ( Normal : 20-40 %) ,

Is is due to any drug like Methimazole ? Is the cause such a high Lymphocytes is worring.

Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Yes,this is the side effect of methimazole.
Methimazole results in lowering of white blood cells and specifically lowering of neutrophils.There is compensatory increase in lymphocyte counts.
There is nothing to worry as the drug has been discontinued.