Taking quetiapine and lamitctal. Missed quetiapine and had unprotected sex. Chances of pregnancy?

Mar 2016

I'm on queatipine and was recently placed on Lamictal also. I take 100mg quetiapine twice a day, and 25 mg Lamictal once in the morning and two at night. I hadn't taken Quetiapine of the Lamitacal that day as waiting a prescription repeat, as had accidentally left my queatipine at home. I had been drinking heavily before..I had unprotected sex My period was just ending but is shorter than it used to be. Could I become pregnant?
Posted Sat, 9 Mar 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 50 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us. I am trying to give answer as per your concern.

Quetiapine is used for the treatment of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder & other mental health problems. Lamictal (lamotrigine) is an anti-epileptic medication and used to treat seizure disorder in adults. These types of drug can hamper your ovulation and may prevent conception in some cases.

Another thing, as you got your period and it was just ending, then possibility of being pregnant is almost nil. Actually pregnancy depends on proper timing of unprotected sex & ovulation which occurs approx 14 days prior to next due date.

Short duration or light period may be due to some underlying reasons like stress/ anxiety/ emotional upset, hormonal imbalance, irregular eating habit, overweight or extreme weight loss, hypothyroidism, psychological factor etc.

But, at first, you should exclude pregnancy completely by doing one blood test for beta HCG. In exclusion of pregnancy, some tests like blood for estrogen & progesterone levels, LH/ FSH, thyroid profile, blood sugar & Hb% are needed to be done after consultation with your gynecologist. Specific treatment depends upon underlying etiology.

The following measures are helpful :

1) Control body weight by regular physical exercise.
2) Take healthy diet with more vegetables & iron supplements.
3) Drink plenty of fluids/water and eat more fresh fruits.
4) Avoid stress by doing yoga/ XXXXXXX breathing regularly.
5) Maintain personal hygiene and need adequate sleeping.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish your good health & take care yourself. Also, practice safe sex to avoid unwanted pregnancy.

Dr Soumen.